Monday, March 15, 2010

Wash Day

So I posted a question on my Facebook account: What innovations would shock our great-great grandmas if they were to show up tomorrow. I think they'd faint when they saw what a washing machine can do. Think about spending all day boiling water, scrubbing clothes on a washboard - with lye soap nonetheless! - and each member of the family would only have 2 or 3 changes of clothes. It would still take all day. Crazy.

I remember the washing machine my gramma had when I was little. It was hooked up to a sink and had a wringer built onto the top. If you don't know what a wringer is...gracious, you're young! It was two rollers - think paint rollers but heavy - one atop the other and you would crank clothes between the rollers to squeeeeeeeze water out of each piece of clothing. Gramma had some strong arms!Then she'd run the wash outside to dry...unless it was really cold, then she'd hang it on the lines in the basement.

So when I complain that the spin cycle is taking too long, I hope that g-g-grandmas forgive me my impatience.

By the way, one cousin said he thought toilet paper was a grand innovation. I couldn't agree more!

No comments:

Post a Comment