Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rhapsody in Golden Brown

So today after church, Tim got in the car, turned to me and said, "Nick's!" Yeah, buddy! So, if you've not been, Nick's is a restaurant inside Jeff City's sprawling Memorial Airport. It's the quintessential mom & pop home food joint. Their fried chicken. Mmmm. Yeah. Fried chicken. Nick's. Mmmmm... yard bird. Oh.....

Sorry, got stuck in a loop there. If you were lucky enough to be born one of Annie Backes' grandkids, you've had better chicken than Nick's. If not, get your tailfeathers out there sometime to see why my grandma's kitchen was a little hint of heaven. Besides, it's fun to watch the two and four-seater planes land, refuel, taxi and take off...especially when little kids are at the next table.

This Sunday chicken dinner reminded me that I've got several months to go before all the Mid-Mo German Catholic church picnics. Mary's Home and Frankenstein are my favorites, though I won't turn down a chance to go to Linn and Taos and Westphalia and Wardsville and...well, you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment