Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This was on my best friend's Facebook today:

MY PROMISE TO MY CHILDREN: I will stalk you, flip out on you, lecture you, drive you crazy, be your worst nightmare and hunt you down like a bloodhound...because I LOVE YOU! When you understand that, I will know you are a responsible adult. You will NEVER find anyone who loves you, prays for you, cares about you and worries about you more than I do!!! Repost if you are a parent.

It got me thinking about my role with children. Here's my take:


I am your aunt. I will indulge your imagination, be your personal jungle gym and yell the loudest from the stands (your mom is too worried she'll embarass you). I'll buy cases of Girl Scout cookies and Boy Scout popcorn and more wrapping paper than I'll ever use. I love your knock-knock jokes. We'll sneak off to shop, get ice cream and sing loudly in the car. I will listen to you and answer all your questions. You can call me to pick up your sorry ass if you drink at a party or if the person you trusted to drive isn't safe. When you break up with someone, I'll tell you they don't deserve you. I adore you completely.

But hear this - I will ALWAYS back your parents. I can't imagine how it is possible, but they love you even more than I do. I expect you to be the fabulous person I KNOW you are and will call you on it when you act as though you've forgotten...no matter how old you are. I think of you and pray for your wellbeing every day. You rock my world. Rock on, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment